Inheritence and Integrity

From: Neal Lindsay <neal(dot)lindsay(at)peaofohio(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Inheritence and Integrity
Date: 2003-01-29 19:56:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

I am creating a database that will keep track of several different types
of 'events'. I am toying with the idea of making a base 'class' table
for the tables because a lot of the information will be the same (also
there will probably be times I just need to get the basic information
about events regardless of their type). My question is: will triggers
and rules on the parent table fire when I insert data in the child
tables? Are there any other potential pitfalls?

Thank you,
-Neal Lindsay

P.S. Here is a simplified example of my schema:

CREATE TABLE parenttable (
recordid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
recordname text
);

CREATE TABLE childtablea (
afield int4
) INHERITS parenttable;

CREATE TABLE childtableb (
bfield text
) INHERITS parenttable;

CREATE TABLE extrainfo (
extrainfoid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
record_fkey int4 NOT NULL REFERENCES parenttable(recordid),
extrainfotext text
);