Re: Form builder?

From: "Webb Sprague" <webb(dot)sprague(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Kenneth Downs" <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Form builder?
Date: 2006-07-05 20:42:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> This is no small task.

But that a mans reach should exceed his grasp...

> All of that being said, if you want to do it yourself, I would still
> claim that you'd get there a lot faster adopting Andromeda, because all
> you are really trying to do is embellish what we've already done.

The problem with Andromeda are three fold, the last being trivial and
brekaing the camels back for me:

1. I don't know Andromeda, while I kind of know Python/Tk

2. Andromeda is not an item in the standard Linux style toolkit,
while Python/Tkinter is part of the system level installations on most
Linuxes, and is easily installed on Windows and Macs.

3. I can't get Andromeda to compile on my installation of Gentoo.

I am still figuring out the vagaries of Tkinter, but I think my
approach will involve mapping a little language of table names,
modifiers, and connecting operators to a sequence of forms. I think
I can do a little magic in propagating fields chosen in early forms
down to defaults in later forms in a sequence to get the effect of
entering, say, a student and her three classes.

I will announce to the list if I get a working prototype.