Re: Survey results from the PostgreSQL portal page

From: Emmanuel Charpentier <charpent(at)bacbuc(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Survey results from the PostgreSQL portal page
Date: 2003-01-20 19:18:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>

>>>I wonder why people ask for better documentation. I think the
>>>documentation is really good. Ever read Oracle stuff? *ugh*.
>>
>>Ever read MySQL docs - *hack*!!
>

> The documentation definately needs work -- particularly client
> library documentation and PL/PgSQL. I want to work on this when I get
> time.

Case in point : in 7.3, the ODBC driver documentation (which was terse and
somewhat outdated, to begin with ...) has disappeared from the main tree.
You have to go to GBorg to find (some) relevant information (and no
examples, BTW). But to find an information I really needed, I had to use
... the driver source, fer Crissakes !! I felt back in '74, when I tried to
learn Fortran.

[ BTW : note to Hiroshi Inoue : Thank you ! I partially solved by problem,
and think a real solution is bound to to undoing some 7.2 to 7.3
modifications ...]

The same could be said of the JDBC driver, btw, while it's doc is still in
the main doc tree.

This one is one of my pet peeves at the moment ...

Emmanuel Charpentier