How to initiate a new log file?

From: ray <Ray(dot)Joseph(at)CDICorp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to initiate a new log file?
Date: 2009-05-26 17:17:34
Lists: pgsql-general

While debugging applications interacting with pg, the log file (under
pg_log) gets quite long. The log file typically has a name such as
postgresql-2009-05-26_000000.log; sometimes an new file will be
generated on the same day and the portion of the name that is all
zeroes will change to a larger number for each change during that day.

I would like to know what triggers the name change and how can I force
a change.

Thanks,
Ray