Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date: 2024-09-20 20:13:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2024-09-20 at 13:47 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Please see attached.

> + <listitem>
> + <para>
> + Various query performance improvements, including to sequential reads
> + using streaming I/O, write throughput under high concurrency, and
> + searches over multiple values in a <link linkend="btree">btree</link>
> + </para>
> + </listitem>

Perhaps that last part could be "and searches over IN-lists in a b-tree index".
It might be technically less correct, but I'd expect that it gives more people
the right idea.

> + <para>
> + <link
> + linkend="app-pgcreatesubscriber"><application>pg_createsubscriber</application></link>,
> + a utility that logical replicas from physical standbys
> + </para>

There's a verb missing: "a utility that *creates* logical replicas..."

> + <para>
> + <link
> + linkend="pgupgrade"><application>pg_upgrade</application></link> now
> + preserves replication slots on both publishers and subscribers
> + </para>

I wonder if we should omit "on both publishers and subscribers".
It preserves replication slots anywhere, right?

> + <listitem>
> + <para>
> + New client-side connection option, <link
> + that allows direct TLS handshakes that avoids a round-trip negotation.
> + </para>
> + </listitem>

It should be "that avoid". Plural.

Yours,