Re: pg_restore has problems with restoring sequences.

From: robert <robert(at)redcor(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore has problems with restoring sequences.
Date: 2018-02-05 07:28:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

thanks,

On 04.02.2018 19:16, Tom Lane wrote:
> robert<robert(at)redcor(dot)ch> writes:
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 1068; 1259 142848 SEQUENCE
>> change_email_domain_id_seq odoo
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  syntax error at or
>> near "AS"
>> LINE 2:     AS integer
>>             ^
>>     Command was: CREATE SEQUENCE change_email_domain_id_seq
>>     AS integer
>>     START WITH 1
>>     INCREMENT BY 1
>>     NO MINVALUE
>>     NO MAXVALU...
> Hm. What this suggests is that you're using a pg_dump that is newer than
> the server that you're trying to restore to. The "AS datatype" clause
> in CREATE SEQUENCE is new in v10.
>
> The general rule for pg_dump version choice is "use the newest version you
> can, but not newer than the server you're going to restore to". Otherwise
> you run into problems like this of the dump containing syntax the target
> server doesn't understand.
>
> regards, tom lane

I am using postgres 10 on the server where I create the dump
and 10.1 where i try to restore.
however,  the box where I try to restore uses
root(at)lappi:/home/robert/odoo_instances# pg_restore -V
pg_restore (PostgreSQL) 9.5.10

when I check with :
root(at)lappi:/home/robert/odoo_instances# apt-cache policy postgresql-client
postgresql-client:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 10+189.pgdg17.04+1
  Version table:
     10+189.pgdg17.04+1 500
        500 http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt zesty-pgdg/main
amd64 Packages
        500 http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt zesty-pgdg/main
i386 Packages
     9.6+184ubuntu1.1 500
        500 http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/main
amd64 Packages
        500 http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/main
i386 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security/main
amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security/main i386
Packages
     9.6+184ubuntu1 500
        500 http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main i386 Packages

and when I try to reinstall
apt install postgresql-client-common
i get a message, that it is already the newest version.

ah, now I see something:$which pg_restore points to:
 /usr/bin/pg_restore -> ../share/postgresql-common/pg_wrapper

what is this pg_wrapper??

thanks