Re: Selecting table row with latest date

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Selecting table row with latest date
Date: 2021-08-20 12:37:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021, Francisco Olarte wrote:

> Is your next_contact really dependent on the contact record (
> person+contact_date? ).

Francisco,

Yes.

> I mean, your tables seem CRM like. You stated next_contact for old
> contacts is not interesting. It seems next_contact is associated just
> by a person, something like this:

Not true. The history of contacts is highly valuable.

> Is the nc for the previous record useful for anything ? ( It seems to be
> nor useful for calling, but you may want to do reports to see next-contact
> correlation with the contacts on another records )

Yes.

> To me, and maybe others, it seems there is only one valid next-contact
> date, potentially null, which should go in the person record, and may be
> the contacts table should capture the value of next-contact at the time
> the contact was made for analysis. This also makes finding contacts to be
> made soon easier.

That's because you don't know my business: I'm currently in my twenty-ninth
year as a consultant helping clients avoid and resolve environmental issues
and have long ago found what information I need and use to efficiently run
my business.

Regards,

Rich