Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version
Date: 2018-11-14 14:58:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Just realized the question I should have asked is:
> How did you get the pg_dumpall file processed by Postgres?
> In other words how did you do it without a password?

As user postgres I entered the command
$ psql -f dump-all.sql

In any case, I need to back up because I missed something when
initializing the cluster.

ps ax | grep postgres

shows a number of processes, but psql tells me there's no server running,
and there is no postmaster.opts or postmaster.pid in the data directory.

I can delete contents of the data directory and re-initdb, or re-install
the application and start from scratch.

Advice appreciated,

Rich