Re: COPY table to file missing quotation marks

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY table to file missing quotation marks
Date: 2013-01-31 16:53:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-copy.html

Adrian,

I've read this.

> CSV Format
> "The values in each record are separated by the DELIMITER character. If
> the value contains the delimiter character, the QUOTE character, the NULL
> string, a carriage return, or line feed character, then the whole value is
> prefixed and suffixed by the QUOTE character, and any occurrence within
> the value of a QUOTE character or the ESCAPE character is preceded by the
> escape character. You can also use FORCE_QUOTE to force quotes when
> outputting non-NULL values in specific columns." ...

So, if the column attribute is text of some flavor I still need to force
quotes column-by-column?

Guess I still need to import the output into a spreadsheet, format each
text and date column, then write it out again as a .csv file ... or, better
yet, write a one-line awk program that quotes the appropriate tokens! That's
what I'll do.

Thanks,

Rich