/usr/local/pgsql/data permissions

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: /usr/local/pgsql/data permissions
Date: 2011-09-23 20:48:32
Lists: pgsql-general

My server just crashed because a CPU-intensive build threatened to
overheat the processor so the system shut down. When I rebooted and tried to
start postgres the attempt failed because `data directory
"/usr/local/pgsql/data" has group or world access'. As far as I can recall,
it's always been 755 like the other directories in /usr/local/pgsql.

When I changed the perms to 700 I was able to start postgres. I want to
check that these are the proper permissions (I can run psql from the command
line and access Ledger-123 so I assume they're OK.)

How the permissions on the directory changed when the system shut down
will probably always remain a mystery.

Rich