Re: pgbench - allow to create partitioned tables

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Asif Rehman <asifr(dot)rehman(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - allow to create partitioned tables
Date: 2019-10-01 14:48:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Yeah, I know that, but this doesn't look quite right. I mean to say
>> whatever we want to say via this message is correct, but I am not
>> completely happy with the display part. How about something like:
>> "pgbench_accounts is missing, you need to do initialization (\"pgbench
>> -i\") in database \"%s\"\n"? Feel free to propose something else on
>> similar lines? If possible, I want to convey this information in a single
>> sentence.
>>
>> How about, "pgbench_accounts is missing, initialize (\"pgbench -i\") in
> database \"%s\"\n"?

I think that we should not presume too much about the solution: perhaps
the user did not specify the right database or host and it has nothing to
do with initialization.

Maybe something like:

"pgbench_accounts is missing, perhaps you need to initialize (\"pgbench
-i\") in database \"%s\"\n"

The two sentences approach has the logic of "error" and a separate "hint"
which is often used.

--
Fabien.