Re: Usability fail with psql's \dp command

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Usability fail with psql's \dp command
Date: 2018-07-31 19:02:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Pavel,

>> I noticed today that \dp does not distinguish empty acl fields
>> (meaning nobody has any privileges) from null acl fields
>> (which mean default privileges, typically not empty).
>
> This confusing behavior exists not only for \dp command.
> Consider schemas and \dn+ command:

Indeed, all \d* which display perms have the empty/default confusion:

\dp \ddp \des \dew \l \dn \db \df \dT \dD \dL

I fixed them all to display the default acl in the patch I just sent.

I also noticed that although large objects have permissions, they are not
printed by any backslash commands.

--
Fabien.