Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add psql variables showing server version and psql version.

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add psql variables showing server version and psql version.
Date: 2017-09-06 17:53:40
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Hello,

>> * Clarification that this will work for current AND past server versions
>
> The short answer is it works. I do not think we need a longer answer.

To have something operational you have to know quite a bit of psql
details (:-substitutions, backslash command logic, gset, if, quit...).

Thus short, simple but meaningful examples which show how to do something
useful with all that in the documentation may help people take advantage
of these new features.

Given my experience with "\d*", I'm not sure I would assume that a new
psql feature would work with older servers.

--
Fabien.