Re: [BUGS] Breakage with VACUUM ANALYSE + partitions

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Breakage with VACUUM ANALYSE + partitions
Date: 2016-05-04 16:29:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hello Tom,

>>> There's not really a point in using an enum if you use neither the type
>>> (which you shouldn't because if you or the bitmask value you have types
>>> outside the range of the enum), nor the autogenerated numbers.
>
>> I do not think that there is such a constraint in C, you can use the enum
>> bitfield type, so you should.
>
> I think you are failing to understand Andres' point. If you're going
> to OR together some bits, the result is no longer a member of the enum
> type, and the advantages that an enum would have immediately turn into
> disadvantages.

I understood the point and I do not see real disadvantages. The C standard
really says that an enum is an int, and compilers just do that. I see it
as a matter of interpretation whether enum members are strictly allowed
values or just allowed bits, but maybe the standard says otherwise.

Anyway, the good news is that the bug is now fixed.

--
Fabien.