Re: Pgbench with -f and -S

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pgbench with -f and -S
Date: 2016-04-18 05:24:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> For the future 9.6, scripts options are cumulatives, so -f & -S can be
>> combined.
>>
>> Indeed, for the <= 9.5 it seems that some options are silently ignores,
>> when combining -S/-f, only the last one is kept, it should be warned about.
> ​
> ​Thanks Fabien, for confirming about the missing warning.
>
> Also, by 'combined' I think you mean that both (built-in SELECTs & Custom
> Script) run, although the dev docs don't (yet) say anything about that.

Hmmm... I think it does implicitely, with "add" and "and" in the
following:

From http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/pgbench.html:

-b scriptname[(at)weight]
Add the specified builtin script to the list of executed scripts. [...]

Idem -f.

And later at the beginning of the Notes:

pgbench executes test scripts chosen randomly from a specified list.
They include built-in scripts with -b and user-provided custom scripts with -f.
[...]

--
Fabien.