Re: pgsql: pgbench: Allow changing weights for scripts

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: pgbench: Allow changing weights for scripts
Date: 2016-03-19 19:23:03
Lists: pgsql-committers

> pgbench.c:2765: warning: 'ps.stats.lag.sum2' is used uninitialized in this function

Sorry for the noise.

Strangely, I did not get that warning with gcc 4.8.4.

ISTM that in stack variables are initialized to zero automatically, so
although it is not explicitely initialized, it is not uninitialized...

Moreover, these values are not actually "used" in the function, they are
just returned, and are to be initialized explicitely later on.

So gcc is wrong, but that does not mean that it should not be fixed.

Alvaro has just done that, which is overall a code improvement, so it is
for the better, and it shows that a wrong warning can lead to actual
benefits:-)

--
Fabien.