Character translation?

From: "Linn Kubler" <lkubler(at)ecw2(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Character translation?
Date: 2002-09-05 22:15:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I have a view like this:
create view myview as
select recid, title, firstname || chr(32) || lastname as expert, rank
from mytable;

When I use this view via odbc on a Windows 2000 system using Visual FoxPro
the expert field shows up as a memo field. This is analogous to the text
field in PSQL.

What I'd like to do is have the expert column come through as a varchar type
so that it shows up as a text field in VFP. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the functions and didn't see anything that would do the
trick for me but I could have just missed something. I also saw a reference
to the cast() function but couldn't find any usage info on it in the online
docs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Linn

--
Please remove the number two from domain name for email.