Re: COPY command & binary format

From: Pujol Mathieu <mathieu(dot)pujol(at)realfusio(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY command & binary format
Date: 2016-05-10 12:39:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Le 10/05/2016 à 12:56, Nicolas Paris a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> What is the way to build a binary format (instead of a csv) ? Is there
> specification for this file ?
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-copy.html
>
> Could I create such format from java ?
>
> I guess this would be far faster, and maybe safer than CSVs
>
> Thanks by advance,
Hi
Making a driver that do what you want is not difficult. You will achieve
better performances than than loading data from CSV, and you also will
have better precision for floating values (there is no text conversion).
In the link you provide there is a description of the file format in
section Binary Format.
Mathieu Pujol