Re: postgres 9.6: insert into select finishes only in pgadmin not psql

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Corey Taylor <corey(dot)taylor(dot)fl(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres 9.6: insert into select finishes only in pgadmin not psql
Date: 2019-09-23 21:50:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/23/19 2:34 PM, Corey Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 4:31 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com
> <mailto:adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> Hmm, are there triggers on wss_entries that are UPDATEing/DELETEing
> entries elsewhere?
>

> No, that table is pretty much stand-alone.  What we're seeing here is
> most likely caused by the initial copy of the legacy db tables.
>
> This happens when creating the local test db which I do right before the
> tests.  I can avoid the issue if I monitor top and wait for the analyze
> to complete on all the related tables.

Big hammer approach:

alter system set autovacuum = off;
SELECT pg_reload_conf();

Do work

alter system reset autovacuum;

SELECT pg_reload_conf();

Smaller hammer:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-STORAGE-PARAMETERS

"autovacuum_enabled, toast.autovacuum_enabled (boolean)"

which can be done by ALTER TABLE also:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-altertable.html