Re: BUG #17148: About --no-strict-names option and --quiet option of pg_amcheck command

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: chenjq(dot)jy(at)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17148: About --no-strict-names option and --quiet option of pg_amcheck command
Date: 2021-08-18 11:44:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 17.08.21 19:00, Euler Taveira wrote:
>> Well, problem is that it’s plain not true.  If you pass --quiet
>> --verbose you
>> will get a lot of output, albeit less than if not using --quiet.
>> Consistency
>> with other tools is obviously good, but only when it’s correct IMO.
> Indeed, it is not a good design. It should be one option --verbose that
> increases the verbosity according to a number or an enum value. --verbose=0
> means "quiet". However, that ship has sailed.

I was confused by this the other day as well. Having all of

-q, --quiet don't write any messages
-P, --progress show progress information
-v, --verbose write a lot of output

is surely a lot.

If you look at what --quiet does, it

1) disables logging warnings if there are no matches for object patterns
and --no-strict-names is given, and

2) sets PQsetErrorVerbosity(free_slot->connection, PQERRORS_TERSE).

I think this both of these things could be deleted and we could get rid
of the --quiet option, to simplify all this. Neither of these behaviors
is in common with any other PostgreSQL tool.