Re: Restart pg_usleep when interrupted

From: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <samimseih(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restart pg_usleep when interrupted
Date: 2024-08-13 16:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/13/24 10:57 AM, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 10:47:51AM -0500, Imseih (AWS), Sami wrote:
>>> Can you elaborate on how it is too complex?
>>>
>> [0] made vacuum_delay_point more complex as it has to
>> instrument cost_delay at an interval to reduce the number
>> of interrupts to the leader.
> Sure, but looking at the patch [0], it adds maybe an extra 10 lines of code
> to limit the reports to 1 Hz. That doesn't strike me as too complex...
>
> [0] https://postgr.es/m/ZnlPZZZJCRu/8fka%40ip-10-97-1-34.eu-west-3.compute.internal
Perhaps "complex" may not be the correct way to describe it.

Having to add special handling to space out instrumentation
directly in vacuum_delay_point seems very odd to me. I don't
think vacuum_delay_point should have to worry about this.

Also,
1/ what is an appropriate interval to collect these stats?
2/ What if there are other callers in the future that wish
to instrument parallel vacuum workers? they will need to implement
similar logic.

Regards,

Sami