Re: FDW connections

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Steve Baldwin <steve(dot)baldwin(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FDW connections
Date: 2021-01-22 08:17:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2021-01-22 at 16:03 +1100, Steve Baldwin wrote:
> If I have made a query on a foreign table (using postgres_fdw),
> it establishes a connection automatically. Is there any way to
> disconnect that fdw connection without disconnecting the session
> that instigated it?

No.

From PostgreSQL v14 on, there is the "idle_session_timeout" that you
could set on the server to close such sessions. postgresql_fdw will
silently re-establish such broken connections. You could set this
parameter in the foreign server definition.

But this is a strange request: why would you want to close such
connections before the database session ends?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe