Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless
Date: 2017-01-17 02:34:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/13/17 11:22 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wonder what depth of include-file nesting
> psql can support, or whether we'll be able to fix it to optimize tail
> recursion of an include file. Because somebody will be asking for that
> if this is the toolset you give them.

I think the solution to that is straightforward: tell users that we hope
to eventually support loops and that in the meantime if you try to work
around that with recursion you get to keep both pieces when it breaks.
While not ideal I think that's a lot better than throwing the whole idea
out because some people will abuse it...
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)