Re: problem in logging into database

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "ankit(dot)mehrotra(at)tcs(dot)com" <ankit(dot)mehrotra(at)tcs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem in logging into database
Date: 2006-12-08 10:14:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 12/8/06, ankit(dot)mehrotra(at)tcs(dot)com <ankit(dot)mehrotra(at)tcs(dot)com> wrote:

> my postmaster is on the same machine .. i am pasting the command and its
> output here for u :-
>
> % psql -d template1 -U postgres
> psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

You will need to modify pg_hba.conf file in the directory which you
initdb'ed and restart the database.

this file is well documented and reading it is a good investment.
There are several options to allow connecting . mentioned
below are roughly in order or security. you need to add/modity
/uncomment the lines near the end of this file.

local all all trust # very trivial

will allow any user to connect from same machine to any database without
any password.

local all all md5

(same a above but will ask password)

host all all 192.168.0.100/32 md5

(same a above but allows connection from said address range)

you can choose any config based on your requirement but make
sure it secure enough eventually.

Regds
mallah.