Re: transactional shared variable in postgresql

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transactional shared variable in postgresql
Date: 2006-11-18 19:15:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 11/19/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > In our webapps, we use the same username to connect to the database
> > for all kind of updates. Hence we are not able to makeout whoo modified
> > what . However at application level we have different "userid" for
> different
> > users of the system. we want to somehow pass this "userid" to the
> databasee
> > server and accesss it from the triggers that implement the audit
> functions.
>
> Perhaps it would be better to make your "userid" be the actual database
> user? But anyway, the custom GUC variable facility might serve your

Hi,

wouldnt' it affect the connection pooling , i am using DBI::Cache and
mod_perl ?

needs.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-custom.html

i dont think i understand the usage properly,

i did the below postgresql.conf
custom_variable_classes = 'general' # list of custom variable
class names
general.employee = ''

am i supposed to see the variable general.employee when i do "show all " ?
i did not see it in fact!

my question is how can i set it and read it

regds
Mallah.