Re: Database Refresh confusion

From: Andreas Kretschmer <andreas(at)a-kretschmer(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Refresh confusion
Date: 2018-07-13 12:04:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Am 13.07.2018 um 13:10 schrieb Rijo Roy:
> Hello Experts,
>
> Today, my colleague asked me if there was any way to check the
> progress of recovery (backup-recovery) in Postgresql. I told him to
> check the postgresql logs and look out for keywords such as recovery.
> He was refreshing the database by restoring a database backup but the
> method he tried surprised me.
> The below commands were used:
> pg_basebackup -h remoteservername -p Port number -D /path -X s -c fast
> -n -P -v
> And he just started the postgresql cluster using pg_ctl
>
> I told him that he missed creating a recovery.conf with a recovery
> command,

that's not necessary, without recovery.conf postgres will start as a
normal server.

> but he told me that he always does this way.  I told him that the
> process is wrong and this will do a crash recovery and there are high
> chances of data corruption.

No, this way is safe

> He replied saying he never faced an issue following his process of
> doing it without recovery.conf
>
> 2 questions:
> 1. Is this a good practice for refreshing data into a new server.
> 2. Is there any other mechanism to track the restoration process other
> than to check the postgresql logs.

pg_basebackup has a progress-feature, -P, see you command above

> The postgresql version used in 10.0 on a Linux 6.9

the latest version is 10.4 and contains a lot of bugfixes, consider a
update soon.

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com