Left Outer Join Question

From: Edward Murray <mail(at)avenuedesign(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Left Outer Join Question
Date: 2002-02-27 04:18:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

I seem to have reached the limits of my (postgres)SQL knowledge. If
anybody could help me out of this predicament it would be greatly
appreciated. I know the explanation of this problem may seem a bit complex
but I am hoping the answer may be quite simple.

I have items represented for sale on a web-site. I have a number of
sections which each have sub-categories under them and each category may
contain items.

Each item is posted by a shop with a client number.

I am trying to list the sub-categories of a section and the number of
items posted in by a particular shop in each of those categories.

Simplified versions of the tables are as such:

sections (
recordnum int
name varchar
)

category (
recordnum int
name varchar
)

section_subcats (
sectionum int
catnum int
)

items (
recordnum int
catnum int
clientnum int
name varchar
)

The categories are assigned to the sections via the Section_subcats table
using data in the tables as such:

section
1 Fruit

category
1 Apple
2 Pear
3 Orange

section_subcats
1 1
1 2
1 3

items
1 1 333 'Jonathan'
2 1 333 'Fuji'
3 1 444 'Granny Smith'
I am trying to construct a query which will return something like the
following for clientnum 333:

Fruit
-----
Apple 2
Pear 0
Orange 0

I have tried the following query but the results with no items are
excluded:

select category.name, count(items.recordnum) from category left outer join
items on (category.recordnum = items.catnum) where category.recordnum =
section_subcats.catnum and section_subcats.sectionnum = 1 and
items.clientnum = 333 group by category.name;

Somebody Please Help!

Regards
Ed Murray
Avenue Network Services