Re: HIGH IO and Less CPU utilization

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HIGH IO and Less CPU utilization
Date: 2022-03-31 14:44:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 3/29/22 14:04, Rambabu g wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have an issue with high load and IO Wait's but less cpu on postgres
> Database, The emp Table size is around 500GB, and the connections are
> very less.
>
> Please suggest to us do we need to change and config parameters at
> system level or Postgres configuration.

The "emp" table is 500 GB? You're doing something wrong, The "emp" table
should have 14 rows and the "dept" table should have 4 rows The "bonus"
and "salgrade" tables should also be very small. The guy named Bruce
Scott could probably help you with that schema. Other than that, do you
have a SQL causing all this ruckus and a detailed explain plan ("explain
(analyze,costs,buffers)") for the SQL using most of the time? You can
analyze the log file with PgBadger to get the queries consuming the most
time.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant