Re: Title updation while documentation is generated using STYLE=website

From: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Title updation while documentation is generated using STYLE=website
Date: 2024-09-25 08:23:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2024-09-25 07:23 +0200, vignesh C wrote:
> While building the documentation with make STYLE=website html, I
> noticed inconsistencies in the formatting of the starting letter of
> each word in the titles. For instance:
> "Obtaining Information about an Error" becomes "Obtaining Information
> About An Error" in html/plpgsql-control-structures.html.
> "Multiple Statements in a Simple Query" changes to "Multiple
> Statements In A Simple Query" in html/protocol-flow.html.
> "Returning from a Function" remains unchanged in
> html/plpgsql-control-structures.html.
> "Obtaining Information about an Error" is also unchanged in
> html/plpgsql-control-structures.html.
> "RETURN NEXT and RETURN QUERY" changes to "RETURN NEXT And RETURN
> QUERY" in html/plpgsql-control-structures.html.
>
> There are many similar cases throughout the code.
>
> I believe this might be related to the stylesheet, as the original
> text appears intact when I copy the generated HTML and paste it into
> Notepad. I could not get details about this from [1].
> How is the styling being applied for the titles? Please share the link
> to this if it is available.
>
> [1] - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/docguide-build.html

I agree, it looks inconsistent.

The page loads stylesheet [1] which then loads [2]. See [3] for the
relevant rule. As I understand it, this is the stylesheet for the
entire postgresql.org website, not just the docs. I checked a couple of
non-docs pages but couldn't find any <h4> elements. So, not sure if the
text-transform property is even relevant to other pages.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/media/css/docs-complete.css
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/media/css/main.css
[3] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=blob;f=media/css/main.css;h=cbfea862ed79fc338ee571265c28626dc38765ca;hb=HEAD#l301

--