EXCEPTION clause not identified

From: "Jasbinder Singh Bali" <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: EXCEPTION clause not identified
Date: 2007-05-14 05:08:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
In one of my trigger functions, i'm trying to catch invalid ip address
exception

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION func_client_socket()
RETURNS "trigger" AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
ip_address_present int4;
BEGIN
ip_address_present = 1;
SELECT inet(NEW.canonical_name);
EXCEPTION WHEN invalid_text_representation THEN
ip_address=0;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

when i run this function, it gives me the followin error

ERROR: syntax error at or near "EXCEPTION" at character 1343
which is the line where I have the EXCEPTION clause.

Can anyone please tell me whats going wrong here?

Thanks,
~Jas