Re: connecting to pgsql

From: "Michael MacLennan" <mmaclennan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ezra Taylor" <ezra(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connecting to pgsql
Date: 2006-02-19 20:40:10
Lists: pgsql-general

I restarted postgresql but that wasn't the problem I didn't have the proper
settings in pg.hba.conf. I added the setting

# host all all 192.168.1.100/32 md5

and that worked. I am running the most recent version of postres and
postgis. I can now connect on the network but I can not open the a DB table
in ArcCatalog 9.0, every time I try Arcatalogue crashed. Originally this
data could be opened with uDig 1.0.5 on the local computer running server
2003 but now uDig can't connect. The only thing that I changed was the
pg_hba.conf file and the postgresql.conf local address to '*' do you know
what I might be missing here?

I realized that I have a lot of issues with the postgres system but I am
relatively new to this. I currently have two projects on the go that will be
using postgres one on Linux Ubuntu and one on Server 2003.

I am beginning to think that postgres doesn't work well with ArcGIS, even
when I do connect I see all the tables and not the shape files. Is there a
way to change this? My users will potentially not have much experience with
connecting to a database so I am wondering how usable this option is. Is it
better to use something commercial or is postgres compatable with arcGIS?

I know these are a lot of questions and any help/advise would be greatly
appreciated.

On 2/18/06, Ezra Taylor <ezra(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Mmaclennan:
> Restart Postgresql. If you need help with
> this, let us know.
>
> Ezra Taylor
>
> On 16 Feb 2006 21:38:07 -0800, mmaclennan <mmaclennan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I have installed postgresql with postgis on a server at my home and I
> > have loaded some data into it but I can not access this data from
> > another computer. I have downloaded the ODBC driver from the postgresql
> > web site and have installed it on another computer but when I try to
> > establish a connection to postgres through microsoft access or
> > arccatalogue I can not connect.
> >
> > The error I am receiving says that the connection was refused. I am
> > positive I have the password right and the firewall is disabled but I
> > still cannot connect. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Is
> > there some default setting I have to change in postgres to allow other
> > computers to access the db?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreiciated.

> > TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> > choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
> > match
> >

> --
> Ezra Taylor

Michael MacLennan, H.BA
MES Planning Candidate,
Spatial Environmental Action Research Lab
York University,
Toronto, Ontario
M3J 1P3
(416) 736-2100 ext. 2100