Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress

From: "Peter Childs" <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress
Date: 2007-11-30 13:25:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 30/11/2007, Alexander Staubo <alex(at)purefiction(dot)net> wrote:

> On 11/30/07, Peter Childs <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Now We used somthing called Ingres at University (I graduated in 2000)
> but
> > I've not heard anything about it since and google does not return
> anything.
> > So we might be talking about different products?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingres
>
> Alexander.

I found ingres website but no mention of a database system so I though they
were something else that had taken on the name.......

The website seams to suggest a RAD development tool and middleware and use
other databases underneath.

In short the current Ingres is related to Postgresql like Xorg is related to
XFree86 or Ubuntu to Debian but much much much older.

Wikipeadia also suggests a similar relationship between Posrgresql and SQL
Server!

I guess this is one of the benifits of the BSD License.

Peter.