Re: PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS

From: Nicklas Avén <nicklas(dot)aven(at)jordogskog(dot)no>
Cc: Rashmi V Bharadwaj <rvbharad(at)in(dot)ibm(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS
Date: 2019-05-07 07:49:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5/7/19 9:25 AM, Rashmi V Bharadwaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That query will only give the PostgreSQL database server's IP address
> right? That is true while we do a remote access to the non-cloud
> database from another machine also.
> I want to know if there is anything specific that can be used to
> determine a cloud environment.
>
> -Rashmi
>
> -----"Nicklas Avén" <nicklas(dot)aven(at)jordogskog(dot)no
> <mailto:nicklas(dot)aven(at)jordogskog(dot)no>> wrote: -----
> To: Rashmi V Bharadwaj <rvbharad(at)in(dot)ibm(dot)com <mailto:rvbharad(at)in(dot)ibm(dot)com>>
> From: "Nicklas Avén" <nicklas(dot)aven(at)jordogskog(dot)no
> <mailto:nicklas(dot)aven(at)jordogskog(dot)no>>
> Date: 07/05/2019 12:46PM
> Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS
>
> Hi
>

> You can resolv the ip-address
>

> select inet_server_addr();
>

> /Nicklas
>

> On 5/7/19 8:27 AM, Rashmi V Bharadwaj wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a SQL query or a database parameter setting that I can use
>> from an external application to determine if the PostgreSQL database
>> is on cloud (like on Amazon RDS or IBM cloud) or on a non-cloud
>> on-prem environment?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rashmi

Sorry I didn't reply to list last time, and I top posted. I will be
banned :-)

Well, that is true that you will get an ip-address in both cases, but in
one case the ip-address will point to a cloud server and in the other
case to some other server.

What you define as a cloud server is up to you.

I don't fully understand what you are want to get. I mean the postgresql
installation doesn't have any definition about what is a cloud server
and what is not.

Some vendors probably have some special settings that can be detected,
but you can install postresql on any server, hosted by you, a company, a
company named Amazon or whatever.

From the ip-address you might be able to find out if it seems to be an
rds server.

But I see that it seems to only give the private address in Amazon rds.
So then it might be difficult.

So, back to your original question.

I don't think there are anything specific for a cloud installation since
a cloud server is just a server like any other server.

If there is something special it is vendor specific.

/Nicklas