Re: setting up pg_ident for peer auth with unix groups

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setting up pg_ident for peer auth with unix groups
Date: 2020-01-30 12:08:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Geoff,

No, there is no such mechanism. The ident service (it's not safe as you
probably know) only delivers the name of the user who has initiated the
TCP connection to the PG server.

This will be matched to the PG user the connection is supposed to be
established as. If they match, the respective line of pg_hba.conf might
grant access.

pg_ident.conf can be used to match system usernames (of the client
machine) to PG usernames.

The /etc/group file which technically could be accessed by PG processes
resides on the server and thus could be very different from the one on
the client machine. Plus, the system username used on the client machine
may not even exist on the server, nor does the PG username have to exist
as a system username on client or server.

Therefore, using Unix groups wouldn't make much sense.

Regards,

Holger

--

Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach
instant messaging: xmpp:holger(at)jakobs(dot)com