does postgres access the raw disk device?

From: Sally Gaddis <sgaddis(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: does postgres access the raw disk device?
Date: 2003-08-06 21:02:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Does postgres ever use the raw device for disk access? I'm running 7.2 on Solaris 8. I'm thinking of expanding a disk slice using a metadevice (concatenating two slices), but the Sun docs warn that applications using the raw disk device must have their own method to recognize the expanded space. The docs mention dbs as candidates for applications that use the raw device. BTW, this isn't my primary db disk space, but I'd like to have the option to build a postgres db on the metadevice in case of emergency.

Thanks,
Sally