Re: Question from someone who is not trained in computer sciences

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Judith Lacoste <jlacoste(at)miacellavie(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question from someone who is not trained in computer sciences
Date: 2019-09-05 21:48:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/5/19 4:00 PM, Judith Lacoste wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think PostgreSQL is the solution for my needs, but I am not a
> programmer/coder.  If I can confirm PostgreSQL does what I need, I will
> have to hire someone to assist, I am willing to give the effort to learn
> myself but it may be difficult, my specialities are biology and
> microscopy.  Or perhaps the use of PostgreSQL is restricted to people
> highly trained in computer sciences?
> <https://www.meetup.com/Montreal-PostgreSQL-Meetup/discussions/4579546807009280/chat/>

*You* the end-user won't be using Postgres; you'll be using *the
application*.  The important question is whether Postgres has the features
you need for your application.

> I have been looking around a lot through the PostgreSQL website, searching
> the archives, and I even contacted PostgreSQL people locally but I still
> don’t have a clear answer to my first question.  So I am posting it here
> with the hope to move on with PostgreSQL, or abandon the project.
> <https://www.meetup.com/Montreal-PostgreSQL-Meetup/discussions/4579546807009280/chat/>
>
> <https://www.meetup.com/Montreal-PostgreSQL-Meetup/discussions/4579546807009280/chat/>
> I plan to install the database on a server in the office. Me and my four
> colleagues will occasionally connect to this database when we are working
> in other locations (usually hospitals or universities). In such remote
> locations, we often do not have internet/network, yet we still need to
> access the database.  Currently, we use a system where a copy of the
> database lives on each of our laptops.  We can access all the information
> in the database despite being offline.  This local copy of the database is
> synchronized with the server once network becomes available again.
> <https://www.meetup.com/Montreal-PostgreSQL-Meetup/discussions/4579546807009280/chat/>

> <https://www.meetup.com/Montreal-PostgreSQL-Meetup/discussions/4579546807009280/chat/>y
> question is whether or not such set up is possible with PostgreSQL?

Are you asking if you can do with PostgreSQL what you currently do with the
existing database?

> Why am I interested in PostrgreSQL?  First, my work has made me aware of
> how precious open source tools are.  Our main tools for data analysis are
> open source.  Commercial equivalents are black boxes which we try to avoid
> in the name of science reproducibility and transparency.  Secondly, the
> commercial software we are currently using is apparently based on
> PostgreSQL, so I am hoping that using PostgreSQL will make migration less
> painful.

If you're already using a Postgres-based system, then the presumable answer
is "yes, it'll work".  However, Postgres can be modified by closed-source
code, so the amount of work needed by programmer you hire *might* be
extreme.  We don't know because we don't know what your application does.