Re: [BUG FIX] Fix validation of COPY options FORCE_NOT_NULL/FORCE_NULL

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG FIX] Fix validation of COPY options FORCE_NOT_NULL/FORCE_NULL
Date: 2024-10-19 01:32:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 18, 2024 at 08:27:44AM +0200, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> I believe test specificity and clarity are important. Using COPY FROM in this
> context is confusing and makes the tests harder to maintain, as testing two
> things at once, deviates from the pattern established by other tests in
> this section.
>
> To improve test specificity and maintainability,

If this area of the code is refactored so as a different error is
triggered for these two specific queries, we'd still be alerted that
something is wrong the same way for HEAD or what you are suggesting.
I can see your argument, but it does not really matter because the
errors triggered by these option combinations don't link specifically
to COPY TO or COPY FROM. At the end, I'm OK with leaving things the
way they are on HEAD, and let that be.
--
Michael