Re: Remove deprecated -H option from oid2name

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove deprecated -H option from oid2name
Date: 2024-10-09 17:15:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 09, 2024 at 06:45:07PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 9 Oct 2024, at 18:33, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 09, 2024 at 10:08:31AM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> The -H option to oid2name was deprecated in v12, and with v12 going out of
>>> support it seems about time to remove it for v18. Not the most groundbreaking
>>> cleanup, but also no point in carrying it around for 5 more years.
>>
>> Seems fine to me, although I don't see a problem with keeping it, either.
>
> There is little to no cost in keeping it, but then we might as well remove the
> deprecation notice. If we keep marking things deprecated without removing them
> then we risk being seen as crying wolf and users stop caring to update away
> from things we really want to deprecate.

I tend to agree, but I still think it's worth considering whether removing
a few lines of code is worth breaking folks' scripts. In this case, I'm
not too worried...

Another problem is that "deprecated" may or may not imply that the feature
will be removed in the future. IMHO we should be clear about that when we
intend to remove something down the road (e.g., "this flag is deprecated
and will be removed in a future major release of PostgreSQL").

--
nathan