Re: pg_upgrade check for invalid databases

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Krennwallner <tk(at)postsubmeta(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade check for invalid databases
Date: 2024-10-07 19:37:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 1, 2024 at 09:28:54AM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> >> One argument would be to make the checks consistent, pg_upgrade generally tries
> >> to report all the offending entries to help the user when fixing the source
> >> database. Not sure if it's a strong enough argument for carrying code which
> >> really shouldn't see much use though.
> >
> > OK, but the consistency argument would be to just report and fail.
> > I don't think there's a precedent in other pg_upgrade checks for
> > trying to fix problems automatically.
>
> Correct, sorry for being unclear. The consistency argument would be to expand
> pg_upgrade to report all invalid databases rather than just the first found;
> attempting to fix problems would be a new behavior.

Yes, historically pg_upgrade will fail if it finds anything unusual,
mostly because what it does normally is already scary enough. If users
what pg_upgrade to do cleanups, it would be enabled by a separate flag,
or even a new command-line app.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
"Am I going to die soon?"