Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, daniel(at)yesql(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml
Date: 2024-10-15 21:51:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 15, 2024 at 11:08:15PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 15.10.24 22:37, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I don't understand the point of this. Maybe it's okay to try to detect
> > > certain "hidden" whitespace characters, like in the case that started this
> > > thread. But I don't see the value in prohibiting all non-ASCII characters,
> > > as is being proposed here.
> > Well, we can only use Latin-1, so the idea is that we will be explicit
> > about specifying Latin-1 only as HTML entities, rather than letting
> > non-Latin-1 creep in as UTF8.
>
> But your patch prohibits even otherwise allowed Latin-1 characters.

Well, yes, they are Latin-1 characters encoded as UTF-8.

> I don't see why we need to enforce this at this level. Whatever downstream
> toolchain has requirements about which characters are allowed will complain
> if it encounters a character it doesn't like.

Uh, the PDF build does not complain if you pass it a non-Latin-1 UTF8
characters. To test this I added some Russian characters (non-Latin-1)
to release.sgml:

(⟨б⟩, ⟨в⟩, ⟨г⟩, ⟨д⟩, ⟨ж⟩, ⟨з⟩, ⟨к⟩, ⟨л⟩, ⟨м⟩, ⟨н⟩, ⟨п⟩, ⟨р⟩, ⟨с⟩, ⟨т⟩,
⟨ф⟩, ⟨х⟩, ⟨ц⟩, ⟨ч⟩, ⟨ш⟩, ⟨щ⟩), ten vowels (⟨а⟩, ⟨е⟩, ⟨ё⟩, ⟨и⟩, ⟨о⟩, ⟨у⟩,
⟨ы⟩, ⟨э⟩, ⟨ю⟩, ⟨я⟩), a semivowel / consonant (⟨й⟩), and two modifier
letters or "signs" (⟨ъ⟩, ⟨ь⟩)

and I ran 'make postgres-US.pdf', and then removed the Russian
characters and ran the same command again. The output, including stderr
was identical. The PDFs, of course, were not, with the Russian
characters showing as "####". Makefile output attached.

So, in summary, the PDF build is allowed to complain, but it does not.
Even if it did complain, odds are most people are only going to test an
HTML build of their patch, if at all, rather than a PDF build.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
"Am I going to die soon?"

Attachment Content-Type Size
us.out text/plain 130.8 KB