Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, daniel(at)yesql(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml
Date: 2024-10-15 20:37:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 15, 2024 at 10:34:16PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 15.10.24 18:54, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I agree with encoding non-Latin1 characters and disallowing non-ASCII
> > > characters totally.
> > >
> > > I found your patch includes fixes in *.svg files, so how about checking
> > > also them by check-non-ascii? Also, I think it is better to use perl instead
> > > of grep because non-GNU grep doesn't support hex escape sequences. I've attached
> > > a updated patch for Makefile. The changes in release.sgml above is not applied
> > > yet, though.
> > Yes, good idea on using Perl and checking svg files --- I have used your
> > Makefile rule.
> >
> > Attached is an updated patch. I realized that the new rules apply to
> > all SGML files, not just the release notes, so I have created
> > README.non-ASCII and moved the description there.
>
> I don't understand the point of this. Maybe it's okay to try to detect
> certain "hidden" whitespace characters, like in the case that started this
> thread. But I don't see the value in prohibiting all non-ASCII characters,
> as is being proposed here.

Well, we can only use Latin-1, so the idea is that we will be explicit
about specifying Latin-1 only as HTML entities, rather than letting
non-Latin-1 creep in as UTF8. We can exclude certain UTF8 or SGML files
if desired.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
"Am I going to die soon?"