Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, daniel(at)yesql(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doc: typo in config.sgml
Date: 2024-10-14 20:31:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 14, 2024 at 03:05:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I did some more research and we able to clarify our behavior in
> release.sgml:

I have specified some more details in my patched version:

We can only use Latin1 characters, not all UTF8 characters,
because some rendering engines do not support non-Latin1 UTF8
characters. Specifically, the HTML rendering engine can display
all UTF8 characters, but the PDF rendering engine can only display
Latin1 characters. In PDF files, non-Latin1 UTF8 characters are
displayed as "###".

In the SGML files we encode non-ASCII Latin1 characters as HTML
entities, e.g., &Aacute;lvaro. Oddly, it is possible to safely
represent Latin1 characters in SGML files as UTF8 for HTML and
PDF output, but we we currently disallow this via the Makefile
"check-non-ascii" rule.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
"Am I going to die soon?"