Re: define pg_structiszero(addr, s, r)

From: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: define pg_structiszero(addr, s, r)
Date: 2024-09-18 18:57:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 10:03:21AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 18.09.24 06:16, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> > +#define pg_structiszero(addr, s, r) \
> > + do { \
> > + /* We assume this initializes to zeroes */ \
> > + static const s all_zeroes; \
> > + r = (memcmp(addr, &all_zeroes, sizeof(all_zeroes)) == 0); \
> > + } while (0)

Thanks for the feedback.

> This assumption is kind of the problem, isn't it? Because, you can't assume
> that. And the existing code is arguably kind of wrong. But moreover, this
> macro also assumes that the "addr" argument has no random padding bits.
>
> In the existing code, you can maybe make a local analysis that the code is
> working correctly, although I'm not actually sure.

I think it is but will give it a closer look.

> But if you are
> repackaging this as a general macro under a general-sounding name, then the
> requirements should be more stringent.

Agree. That said in v2 ([1]), it has been renamed to pgstat_entry_all_zeros().

I think that I will:

1/ take a closer look regarding the existing assumption
2/ if 1/ outcome is fine, then add more detailed comments around
pgstat_entry_all_zeros() to make sure it's not used outside of the existing