Re: Detailed release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detailed release notes
Date: 2024-09-18 20:45:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 10:16:48AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl> writes:
>
> >> Yes, I think 0.01% is accurate.
>
> > I think that is a severe underestimation.
>
> I'm sure a very large fraction of the people commenting on this thread
> would like to have these links. But we are by no means representative
> of the average Postgres user.

I am confused how to proceed. I think Jian He did the work for PG 17
because it will help many users once PG 17 is released soon, and I wrote
a script to automate this so we can easily continue this going forward.

I agree with Tom that the PDF superscripts look odd. After researching
XML and XPath, I have applied the attached patch to all branches, which
supresses the section symbol and footnotes for PDF output.

We only get a few requests a year for more details on release note
items, and we tell them to look at the SGML source file to see the
commit hashes, so this just isn't a frequently-requested need.

On the flip side, this has been discussed for several years among active
community members, usually around major release time. As I remember,
the last idea was to do something with Javascript on mouse-over of an
item. However, that would involve parsing the SGML in Javascript, which
seems much more error-prone and harder to test than the Perl script I
wrote.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
"Am I going to die soon?"

Attachment Content-Type Size
master.diff text/x-diff 837 bytes