Re: query_id, pg_stat_activity, extended query protocol

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Sami Imseih <samimseih(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anthonin Bonnefoy <anthonin(dot)bonnefoy(at)datadoghq(dot)com>, "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>, kaido vaikla <kaido(dot)vaikla(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query_id, pg_stat_activity, extended query protocol
Date: 2024-09-18 05:46:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 07:50:27AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 05:01:18PM -0500, Sami Imseih wrote:
> > > Then, please see attached two lightly-updated patches. 0001 is for a
> > > backpatch down to v14. This is yours to force things in the exec and
> > > bind messages for all portal types, with the test (placed elsewhere in
> > > 14~15 branches). 0002 is for HEAD to add some sanity checks, blowing
> > > up the tests of pg_stat_statements if one is not careful with the
> > > query ID reporting.
> >
> > These 2 patches look good to me; except for the slight typo
> > In the commit message of 0002. "backpatch" instead of "backpatck".
>
> Yes, I've noticed this one last Friday and fixed the typo in the
> commit log after sending the previous patch series.

So, I have applied 0001 down to 14, followed by 0002 on HEAD.

For the sake of completeness, I have tested all the five
PortalStrategys with the extended query protocol and with the sanity
checks of 0002 in place and compute_query_id=regress to force the
computations, so I'd like to think that we are pretty good now.

0002 is going to be interesting to see moving forward. I am wondering
how existing out-of-core extensions will react on that and if it will
help catching up any issues. So, let's see how the experiment goes
with HEAD on this side. Perhaps we'll have to revert 0002 at the end,
or perhaps not...
--
Michael