Re: Failing to allocate memory when I think it shouldn't

From: Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt(at)burggraben(dot)net>
To: Thomas Ziegler <thomas(dot)ziegler(at)holmsecurity(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Failing to allocate memory when I think it shouldn't
Date: 2024-09-17 19:04:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

## Thomas Ziegler (thomas(dot)ziegler(at)holmsecurity(dot)com):

> Except for pgAudit, I don't have any extensions, so it is probably the
> JIT. I had no idea there was a JIT, even it should have been obvious.
> Thanks for pointing this out!

There is - it even has it's own chapter in the documentation:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/jit.html
Most importantly, you can disable JIT per session ("SET jit=off")
or globally in the configuration file (jit=off, reload is
sufficient) or with any of the other usual configuration mechanisms.
If that fixes your problem, congratulations (and the problem is
somewhere down between bytecode generation and what and how llvm
(in its particular version) generates from that).

> Is the memory the JIT takes limited by 'work_mem' or will it just take
> as much memory as it needs?

The latter.

Regards,
Christoph