Re: per backend I/O statistics

From: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: per backend I/O statistics
Date: 2024-09-13 16:09:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 04:45:08PM +0300, Nazir Bilal Yavuz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for working on this!
>
> Your patch applies and builds cleanly.

Thanks for looking at it!

> On Fri, 6 Sept 2024 at 18:03, Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > - As stated up-thread, the pg_stat_get_backend_io() behaves as if
> > stats_fetch_consistency is set to none (each execution re-fetches counters
> > from shared memory). Indeed, the snapshot is not build in each backend to copy
> > all the others backends stats, as 1/ there is no use case (there is no need to
> > get others backends I/O statistics while taking care of the stats_fetch_consistency)
> > and 2/ that could be memory expensive depending of the number of max connections.
>
> I believe this is the correct approach.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

> I manually tested your patches, and they work as expected. Here is
> some feedback:
>
> - The stats_reset column is NULL in both pg_my_stat_io and
> pg_stat_get_backend_io() until the first call to reset io statistics.
> While I'm not sure if it's necessary, it might be useful to display
> the more recent of the two times in the stats_reset column: the
> statistics reset time or the backend creation time.

I'm not sure about that as one can already get the backend "creation time"
through pg_stat_activity.backend_start.

> - The pgstat_reset_io_counter_internal() is called in the
> pgstat_shutdown_hook(). This causes the stats_reset column showing the
> termination time of the old backend when its proc num is reassigned to
> a new backend.

doh! Nice catch, thanks!

And also new backends that are not re-using a previous "existing" process slot
are getting the last reset time (if any). So the right place to fix this is in
pgstat_io_init_backend_cb(): done in v4 attached. v4 also sets the reset time to
0 in pgstat_shutdown_hook() (but that's not necessary though, that's just to be
right "conceptually" speaking).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-per-backend-I-O-statistics.patch text/x-diff 30.6 KB
v4-0002-Add-pg_stat_get_backend_io.patch text/x-diff 14.4 KB