Re: Undocumented optionality of handler_statements

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Philipp Salvisberg <philipp(dot)salvisberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Undocumented optionality of handler_statements
Date: 2024-09-11 06:37:17
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 01:25:39PM +0200, Philipp Salvisberg wrote:
> read "optional" as "mandatory".

They're optional, like in empty being optional. If not specified, the
block goes to its END.

> Therefore, I suggest to change this example by adding a NULL
> statement as in other examples. This change would make the
> documentation consistent and handle the optionality of
> handler_statements as an implementation detail. I created a patch
> for plpgsql.sgml based on the master branch, adding a NULL statement
> in empty exception handlers (see attached file
> doc_patch_using_null_stmt_instead_of_empty_exception_handler_v1.diff).

These examples have been around for 20 years with, and I think that it
is helpful to show this pattern as well. So if I were to do something
about that, I would suggest the attached.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
doc-plpgsql-error.patch text/x-diff 1.5 KB