Re: relfilenode statistics

From: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: relfilenode statistics
Date: 2024-09-05 04:48:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 05, 2024 at 05:28:22AM +0000, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 06:10:23AM +0000, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Hmm. How about using the table OID as objoid,
> >
> > The issue is that we don't have the relation OID when writing buffers out (that's
> > one of the reason explained in [1]).
> >
> > [1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/Zl2k8u4HDTUW6QlC%40ip-10-97-1-34.eu-west-3.compute.internal
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> Please find attached a mandatory rebase due to the recent changes around
> statistics.
>
> As mentioned up-thread:
>
> The attached patch is not in a fully "polished" state yet: there is more places
> we should add relfilenode counters, create more APIS to retrieve the relfilenode
> stats....
>
> It is in a state that can be used to discuss the approach it is implementing (as
> we have done so far) before moving forward.

Please find attached a mandatory rebase.

In passing, checking if based on the previous discussion (and given that we
don't have the relation OID when writing buffers out) you see another approach
that the one this patch is implementing?

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Provide-relfilenode-statistics.patch text/x-diff 68.7 KB