Re: GUC names in messages

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GUC names in messages
Date: 2024-09-04 05:54:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 04, 2024 at 09:17:15AM +1000, Peter Smith wrote:
> I have merged the patches 0001-0004 as suggested. Please see v11 attachments.

Thanks.

It took me some time to go through the whole tree for more
inconsistencies.

In 0001, search_path was missing quotes in vacuumlo.c and oid2name.c.
Not the most critical tools ever, still fixed these.

CheckRequiredParameterValues() has two "wal_level=minimal". Shouldn't
separate quotes be used for the GUC name and its value to be more
consistent with the rest? There are also two "full_page_writes=off"
in xlog.c. Point mentioned at [1] by Daniel on v6, changed as they
are on HEAD by 17974ec25946.

In 0004, there are a couple of changes where this does not represent a
gain for translators, and it was even made worse. For example
huge_page_size updated for sysv but not WIN32, leading to two
messages. The changes in postgres.c, predicate.c, syncrep.c and
variable.c don't show a gain.

The changes in dfmgr.c should have a translator note, I think, because
it becomes unclear what these messages are about.

By the way, I don't get why we use "/*- translator:" in some places
while we document to use "/* translator:" in the NLS section of the
docs. One pattern is much more used than the other, guess which one.

0001 and 0004 have been applied with these tweaks. I am still not
sure about the changes for DateStyle and IntervalStyle in 0002 and
0003. Perhaps others have an opinion that could drive to a consensus.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2162891.1715890833@sss.pgh.pa.us
--
Michael